Fixing Orange Uganda Modem Issues on Windows

I have been having alot of trouble with my Orange Uganda (http: Modem (Model E173), since my laptop running Windows 7 would not see the modem despite installing Orange Internet Everywhere. I tried installing, un-installing, even had a terse exchange with their support staff via twitter (https://twitter.com/orangeugandaltd/status/290720191099310080) where the only option was for me to take it to their offices for troubleshooting.

After a long search (I am not one to leave problems hanging), I ran into a solution which works for Windows and may provide a starting point for other OSes by replacing the Orange Internet Everywhere software with the latest version of the Huwaei mobile partner and configuring the connection. Steps follow:

1. Download Huwaei Mobile Partner for Windows (https://www.dropbox.com/s/ma578lpg9816y7b/Mobile_Partner_23_for_windows.zip) – 25MB
  2. Insert the modem into a USB slot – if you have other service provider applications they may start, but close each one that comes up
  3. Install the Mobile Partner software
  4. Create a new profile for Orange Uganda – use orange.ug as the APN (http://www.orange.ug/mobile-plans/iew-linux.php)
  5. Dial and you are off

Hope this helps somebody else

Advertisements

12 responses to this post.

1. I had issues with this too but mostly on the 64 BIT version.Will def try this put

2. Posted by felix lutaya on April 13, 2013 at 4:38 pm

After unlocking mine which was working fine with only the orange sim-card, it failed to connect to any network after the process and came up with an error “device removed or is unavailable” then after 2weeks trying it again today it has connected with no errors but the only problem is that it only shows HSPA. It cannot connect to HSDPA network. update process cannot complete with various attempts to upgrade the firmware i get an error “the wireless terminal connected is not firmware”. I have done both removing and plugging-in the device again the dashboard setup cannot start on win7, now am stuck! i cannot get the orange dash board either, even the huawei drivers have failed to install manually.

• You may need to uninstall all drivers (Orange, Huawei , Airtel, MTN) etc first, then reboot your computer.

Once you have rebooted re-install the Huawei drivers then insert your modem, but do not install the Orange (or any other software). Then try your luck again, you may also want to try different USB ports as some may not work … (why I am not sure)

3. Posted by David Okwii on September 16, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Seriously Orange has a tutorial of how to setup internet on their website!!! http://bit.ly/1eHFuxZ Always thought Linux was just a by the way that no one really cares about. But this is really thougtful of Oranges..

Meanwhile Stephen thanks for the tutorial. Do you know any modem manager tool that can send USSD codes — that’s allowing me to check data balance, load data etc without first plugging the simcard out of the modem to the phone ?

4. Posted by staicy on October 30, 2013 at 7:25 am

Thanks for that,though my modem has refused to connect,it keeps on saying unable to connect,it gives me error 4 how do I. Solve this,

5. Posted by Linz on August 27, 2014 at 2:35 am

My modem still can not connect, I am using windows 7

6. You may need to uninstall drivers from other providers in this case MTN or Airtel and maybe Warid, reboot then try again

7. Linz, You may need to uninstall drivers from other providers in this case MTN or Airtel and maybe Warid, reboot then try again

8. Posted by SamB on December 9, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Just worked for me, thanks ssmusoke

9. Posted by ddd on June 17, 2015 at 1:50 am

help me on my zte mf192

10. Posted by ronald on August 22, 2016 at 10:29 pm

my orange driver has failed to be uninstall even after rebooting